Feb 8, 2017
This week Melody and Taunya discuss two cakes that are great to
make with children, and are completely delicious that adults will
also enjoy to bake and eat. The sisters interview Eli, who helped
make the Yogurt cake, and Sam, who made the chocolate
Taunya recommends using a danish whisk that you can buy cheaply
at amazon--Mixers aren't necessary! :)
The sisters also give an update on the business!
Recipe: Yogurt Cake (gâteau au yaourt)--Great for
Summary: adapted from Bringing Up
- 2 (6oz) containers of plain yogurt (keep containers for
measuring the other ingredients)
- 2 eggs
- 2 containers sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- just under 1 container of vegetable oil
- 4 containers flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 container mini chocolate chips or 2 containers of frozen
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Coat a LARGE loaf pan or 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar,
vanilla, and oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stir until just
combined. You can now add the chocolate chips or berries if using
- Scoop it all into your baking pan, bake for 45 to 55 minutes or
until golden and the cake springs up when touched (and when a
toothpick inserted is pulled out clean). Let it cool on a
Recipe: One bowl chocolate cake (Better for older kids
and to practice fractions!)
1 2/3 cups Flour
1 ½ teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2/3 cup Quality Dutch-Processed Cocoa
1 1/2cups White Sugar
¼ cup Olive Oil
2 ounces Unsalted Butter, softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/4cups Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease and line
an 8 inch springform cake tin with baking paper.
- For the cake: sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa and sugar into
a mixing bowl (you can mix vigorously by hand). Add the salt and
- Whisk the eggs lightly before adding them to the mixing bowl
with the softened butter, oil, vanilla extract, milk.
- Beat the mixture on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl
to ensure all the mixture is being incorporated then beat on high
for 3 minutes. Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin.
- Bake in your hot oven for about 60 minutes, until a skewer
inserted in the middle comes out clean. Depending on the strength
of you oven, you might like to check it at 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or so and release from pan and allow to
- Dust with powdered sugar, and drizzle with Glaze if you
- 3/4 cup Semi Sweet chocolate chips (or good quality dark
chocolate bar chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a double boiler over hot but not boiling water, combine
chocolate, butter, and syrup. Stir until the chips are melted and
mixture is smooth, then add vanilla
2. Pour warm glaze over the top of cake, letting it drizzle off
Join our facebook group to see pictures of everything that we
have baked this week. Connect with other bakers of all abilities
and share your baking failures and successes!
You can email the sisters at email@example.com.
We welcome questions, comments, and suggestions for future